Different kinds of abuse 293
Neglect happens when someone who should be caring for a disabled woman
ignores her or does not help her. For example, if someone:
• does not give her food,
or feeds her roughly.
• refuses to
help her get
It’s time for me to
take my medicine.
Please help me, I
can’t reach it.
I’ll get it when
I feel like it.
• does not help her with the toilet.
please get my
You’ll have to
Other examples of neglect are:
• leaving a disabled woman in bed for a long time.
• not helping her get dressed or wash herself.
• not helping her move or reposition her body to prevent pressure sores.
• not changing soiled sheets or wet clothes.
People also neglect disabled women by leaving them at home, or by denying
them good education, proper food, or clothing.
Neglect can hurt a woman, as well as make her lonely and afraid. She can
get pressure sores if she stays in bed too long or cannot move on her own.
For information on preventing pressure sores, see page 116.
A Health Handbook for Women with Disabilities 2007