Where There Is No Dentist 2012 95
EVERY 6 HOURS (4 times a day):
8 to 12 years
3 to 7 years
1 to 2 years
do not use
A sinus is a hollow place inside the bone. There is a sinus under the eyes,
on each side of the nose. Because the sinus is very close to the roots of the
top teeth, these teeth may hurt if the sinus becomes infected.
• Toothache in several top teeth. The
teeth look healthy, but hurt when you tap
• A head cold, and plugged nose. She can
only breathe through her mouth.
• Hurts when you press against the bone
under her eyes.
• Tooth feels different when patient bends over forward.
Do not take out any teeth. They will feel better after you treat the sinus
1. Give penicillin for 5 days (page 94).
2. Explain to the person that she should:
• drink lots of water.
• breathe steam from boiling water to clear
• hold a warm wet cloth against her face, as
often as possible.
• not try to blow her nose, or else her ears will
hurt. Wiping the nose is better.
3. See the person again after 3 days, and
• examine her teeth closely, tapping them to be sure they are strong
• if she is not better, get help from a more experienced health worker.