Where There Is No Dentist 2012 187
Gently scrub the tongue and gums with a clean
cloth or soft toothbrush 3 or 4 times a day.
Then rinse the mouth with salt water and
spit it out (do not swallow). In addition,
if possible, use any ONE of these
• Put 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) of nystatin
solution in the mouth and hold it there
2 minutes and then swallow it. Do this 5 times
a day for 14 days. OR,
• Use either gentian violet or chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash, as
described in the “General Treatment” box on page 184 and 185. OR,
• Cut or break a 100 mg clotrimazole vaginal insert into 2 pieces. In the
morning, put 1 piece in the mouth and let it slowly melt there. Use the
second piece at night. The package may say: “Do not take by mouth.”
This means do not swallow it. It is safe to let it melt in the mouth,
making sure it covers the whole inside of the mouth, and then spit it
out. Do this 2 times a day for 7 days (14 days if the infection is very
• Depending on how bad your problem is, suck one or two 100,000 Unit
nystatin lozenges, 4 or 5 times a day for 10 to 14 days.
If thrush is very bad, or if it moves into your throat and makes it hard to
swallow, you may try one of these stronger medicines instead of the
remedies above. (But do not take either of these medicines if you are
pregnant or breastfeeding):
• Take 400 mg of fluconazole by mouth. The next day take 200 mg of
fluconazole once each day for 14 days. But if you do not feel better in 3
to 5 days, increase the dose to 400 mg once each day. OR,
• Take one 200 mg tablet of ketoconazole, by mouth, once a day with
food for 14 days.
Some people get relief from thrush
when they paint the inside of the
mouth with a little tea tree oil or yogurt.