Breastfeeding is one of the oldest and healthiest practices in
the world. But as the world changes, women sometimes need
information and support to keep breastfeeding their babies.
Breastfeeding is important because:
• Breast milk is the only perfect food to help a baby grow
healthy and strong.
• Breastfeeding helps the womb stop bleeding after birth.
• Breast milk protects the baby against illnesses and infections
like diabetes, cancer, diarrhea, and pneumonia. The mother’s
defenses against illness are passed on to the baby through
• Breastfeeding helps protect the mother against diseases like
cancer and weak or brittle bones (osteoporosis).
• When a woman breastfeeds her baby, the milk is always
clean, always ready, and always the right temperature.
• Breastfeeding helps the mother and baby feel close and secure.
• For some women, giving their babies nothing but breast
milk can help protect them from becoming pregnant again
• Breastfeeding is free.
➤ It is best to
breastfeed for as long
as possible, at least
for one year. During
the first 6 months,
give your baby
nothing but breast
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012