Advice for the Mother 109
These are signs that something may be wrong with how you are holding the baby, or
how much breast the baby has in its mouth:
• If the baby is restless, cries, or does not want to feed, it may be in an
• If the baby’s body does not face yours, for example lying on its back and
turning its head to reach the breast, it might not be able to swallow.
• If you see a lot of the brown part around the nipple (areola), it might mean
the nipple is not far back enough in the baby’s mouth.
• If the suckling is very fast and noisy, the baby might need a bigger mouthful
of the breast. After the first few minutes, the baby should suckle slowly and
deeply, and swallow well.
• If you feel pain, or get a cracked nipple, you may need to help the baby get
the nipple farther back in its mouth.
Mother’s diet while breastfeeding
Mothers need to eat well to recover from
pregnancy, to care for their babies, and for all the
other work they do. They need plenty of foods rich
in protein, fats, and lots of fruits and vegetables.
They also need to drink plenty of liquid—clean
water, milk, herb teas, and fruit juices. But
no matter how a woman eats and
drinks, her body will make good
Some people believe that
new mothers should not eat
certain foods. But if a mother
does not get a balanced
diet (see page 166), it can
lead to malnutrition, weak blood
(anemia), and other sickness.
Sometimes women are given special foods during
breastfeeding. These practices are good, especially if the
foods are nutritious. Good foods help a woman’s body to
grow healthy and strong more quickly after childbirth.
A woman needs extra food if:
• she is breastfeeding 2 young children.
• she is breastfeeding one child and is also pregnant.
• her children are spaced closer than every 2 years.
• she is sick or weak.
eating for good health
➤ Eat and drink
enough to satisfy
hunger and thirst.
water, fruit and
and milk and herb
teas are better than
coffee and sodas.
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012