Cleanliness in the home
Since family members are in close contact with each other,
it is very easy to spread germs and illness to the whole family.
A family will have less illness if they:
• wash cooking and eating pots and utensils with soap (or
clean ash) and clean water after using them. If possible, let
them dry in the sun.
• clean the living space often. Sweep and wash the floors,
walls, and beneath furniture. Fill in cracks and holes in the
floor or walls where roaches, bedbugs, and scorpions can hide.
• hang or spread bedding in the
sun to kill parasites and bugs.
➤ Sunlight kills many
germs that cause
• do not spit on the floor. When you cough or sneeze, cover
your mouth with your arm, or with a cloth or handkerchief.
Then, if possible, wash your hands.
• get rid of body wastes in a safe way. Teach children to use a
latrine or to bury their stools, or at least to go far away from
the house or from where people get drinking water.
➤ If children or
animals pass stool
near the house, clean
it up at once.
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012