Ways to Work Toward Better Nutrition 179
Other ideas to experiment with
• To increase the amount of food a piece of land will
produce, try planting different kinds of crops together.
For example, plants that grow along the ground can
be mixed with plants that grow tall. Fruit trees can be
planted above both. Or plants that take a shorter time
to grow can be mixed with those that take a longer
time. Then the first crop can be harvested before the
second crop gets too large.
• If you must plant cash crops
(non-food crops that you
sell), try planting food crops
together with the cash crops.
For example, plant nut or fruit
trees to shade coffee. Or plant
cassava with cotton.
• Try to find nutritious plants that
grow well in local conditions, so
that you will need less water and
fertilizer for good results.
See Hesperian’s book A Community Guide to
Environmental Health for more information on:
• storing food safely.
• sustainable farming in both rural and urban communities.
• managing pests and plant diseases.
• fish farming.
• raising animals.
• improving local food security.
cacao together, this
family can earn
some money and
grow more food for
the same amount
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012