220 Family Planning
To use the mucus method, you must pay careful attention to
the mucus (wetness) in your vagina.Your body produces wet
mucus during your fertile time to help the sperm get into the
womb. So if you check your mucus every day, you will know
when you are becoming fertile. Then you can avoid sex during
How to tell when you are fertile:
1. Wipe the outside of your vagina with
your finger or a piece of paper or cloth.
2. If there is mucus there, take some
between your fingers. How does it feel?
Wet and slippery? Dry and sticky?
clear, wet, slippery mucus = fertile
white, dry, sticky mucus = not fertile
How to use the mucus method:
• Do not have sex on any day you see or feel wetness or mucus. Or, if you want to
have sex on those days, use a condom or a diaphragm without spermicide (these
are the only methods that do not change the mucus).
• Do not have sex until 2 days after the last day of clear, slippery mucus.
• Do not have sex during your monthly bleeding. There is a small possibility you
could be fertile and not be able to tell.
• Do not douche or wash out your vagina at any time.This will wash the mucus away.
• If you are having trouble knowing when you are fertile, or if you have a vaginal
infection, you should use another method.
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012