250 Abor tion
➤ A woman who has
just had an abortion
most likely did not
want to become
pregnant. This is a
good time to offer
about family planning
methods and how to
➤ For more
information on all
see the chapter on
After an abortion you can get pregnant again right away—in as
soon as 2 weeks. Many methods of family planning take time to
start working, so talk with someone about family planning and
start using one of these methods as soon as possible:
• The Pill: You can start taking pills on
the same day as the abortion. Do not
wait more than one week.
• Intra-Uterine Device (IUD):
If there is no risk of infection, a
trained health worker can put in an
IUD right after the abortion.
• Injections: The first injection should
be given on the day of the abortion,
or up to one week after.
• Implants: Implants can be put in just before or just
after the abortion, or up to one week later.
• Female sterilization: If your pregnancy was less than 3
months, you can be sterilized during the abortion or right after
it. It is very important that you make this decision carefully.
Sterilization is permanent.
• Male sterilization: Sterilization for a man can be done any
time and is permanent. This decision must be made carefully.
• Condoms: You and your partner can
use condoms as soon as you have sex
again. Condoms also protect against
STIs, including HIV.
• Spermicide: You can use spermicide as
soon as you have sex again. Do not use
spermicide if you have HIV, or if you have
many sex partners.
• Diaphragm: If there was no infection
or injury, you can be fitted with a
diaphragm after the abortion.
• Natural methods (mucus and counting
days): These methods do not work until
your normal monthly bleeding returns.
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012