Sores on the Genitals (Genital Ulcers) 273
To help you feel better:
• Wrap a piece of ice in a clean cloth. Put it directly on the
sore for 20 minutes as soon as you feel the sore.
• Make a compress by soaking some cloth in clean water that
has black tea in it and put it on the sore.
• Sit in a pan or bath of clean, cool water.
➤ Wash your hands
with soap and water
after touching the
A compress can
make genital sores
• Mix water and baking soda or corn starch into a paste and
put it on the sore area.
• You can also try the suggestions on page 278.
➤ Be careful not to
touch your eyes or
your children’s eyes.
A herpes infection
in the eyes is very
Treatment for herpes
For a first-time infection, take 200 mg acyclovir, by mouth,
5 times a day for 7 days, or 400 mg, 3 times a day for 7 days.
If you have had a herpes infection before, start taking the
same medicine as soon as you notice any signs of tingling,
burning, or sores, but for only 5 days.
Although acyclovir cannot cure herpes, it makes the
infection milder, less painful and shorter.
➤ Try not to have sex
any time you have
herpes sores. You can
easily spread herpes
to your sex partner.
Where Women Have No Doctor 2012