The Constitution Foundation d/b/a the Saylor Academy and the Saylor Foundation (the 'Foundation') at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/ ects limited personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information from you ('User Information') to allow you to get the optimal benefit of our content as described in the 'How We Use Your User Information' section below. We will not sell your personally identifiable information. We will not intentionally share your information with anyone you do not authorize us to and we will only share the information we collect from you as described in the section below entitled 'How We Share Your User Information.'
Information We Collect About You
The Foundation provides you with the ability to view and share educational content, create and view communications among users, and share your completed course and related information to users and third parties. In order to facilitate these processes, the Foundation may collect the following information from you when you use the Sites:
(1) Personally identifiable information, which is information that specifically identifies you. The personally identifiable information we collect includes your name, email address, age range, employment status, affiliations, and country of residence. For example, when you sign up for updates from the Foundation, we collect your email address, first name, and last name; when you create an account to participate in our Forums, we collect your first name, last name, and your country of residence. We may also collect your name and email address if you submit information to us. Certain information, including your age range, employment status, affiliations, and your reasons for using the Sites, will only be collected if you choose to provide it to us. Additionally, when you use Facebook to access and interact with the Sites, we may collect Facebook information you have made visible to 'Everyone' on Facebook as well as the information Facebook designates as your publicly available information. Finally, we may collect certain information from you when you make a donation, including your first name, last name, e-mail address, billing information, telephone number and mailing address.
(2) Non-personally identifiable information, such as your IP address, or data that is collected via cookies, web beacons, or other technical mechanisms. This information does not identify you personally, but it may provide us with information about your interests and the web sites, products, or services that you view. For example, we automatically collect certain information related to how you use our services, such as the number of times you attempt and/or complete an exam or quiz. We may also tie this non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information in order to provide you with better services, help authenticate you or other data or information you may provide, and prevent fraud. Please note that we also consider aggregated information, which is not personally identifiable, to be non-personally identifiable information.
(3) Cookies and Web Beacons. A cookie is a small amount of data which is sent to your browser from a web site's computer and stored on your computer's hard drive. A web beacon is an electronic image, also called a 'gif,' that may be in the form of a 'png' image, as well as iframe, script, input link, embed, object, and other tags to track usage. These web beacons may be used on our web pages to deliver cookies, count visits and compile statistics on usage and effectiveness of our Sites. You may use your browser settings to adjust your cookie settings, but doing so may impact your experience with the Sites.
You can read more about Facebook Pixel at www.facebook.com/business/help/651294705016616
The above list provides an example of the information that we may collect through the Sites. From time to time, we may collect information from you in other ways that are not described above. If you do not want us to collect information from you, please do not use our Sites.
How We Use Your User Information
The Foundation will use your User Information primarily for the following purposes:
- to deliver services, such as educational programs, information, or newsletters, including to help us make decisions about courses to offer, or to guide decisions for entering into strategic partnerships;
- to alert you to special offers, updated information and other new services or to forward promotional materials;
- to fulfill the terms of a promotion;
- to ensure the Sites are relevant to your needs;
- to provide technical support and to respond to your inquiries;
- to communicate about new features;
- to prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities;
- to contact you in response to inquiry forms (e.g., Contact forms);
- to solicit your feedback to improve your user experience;
- to facilitate and administer the services that we offer on the Sites; and
- to communicate information regarding your account, your student transcript, and other information related to your interaction with the courseware.
We will not sell your personally identifiable User Information to anyone. You may choose to not receive communications from us about new features or promotions by opting out of such communications.
How We Share Your User Information
In general, it is not the Foundation's practice to disclose personally identifiable information to third parties. However, we may share your User Information in the following cases:
- With Your Consent: We may share your User Information with other third parties with your consent.
- To Fulfill a Service to You: If you choose to use the educational content on our Sites, we may share your personally identifiable information in order to provide the content and related services to you. In addition, if you email us a question, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. Also, if you are entering a sweepstakes or contest, we may use your personally identifiable information in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion, including by sharing the information with promotion co-sponsors, for prize fulfillment purposes, or with mail carriers.
- With Affiliates and Other Partners: As we seek to improve the Sites and develop new content for you to use, we may share your User Information with Foundation partners, affiliates, or other collaborators to help ensure that the services we provide on the Sites meet the needs and interests of our users. In addition, we may share your User Information with affiliates, strategic partners, agents, third party marketers or other unaffiliated parties who are offering products or services that we believe may be of interest to you or who require your personally identifiable information for research, administrative and/or internal business purposes. These parties may use your personally identifiable information to contact you with an offer or advertisement related to a product or service, or they may use such information for their own research, administration or business purposes. If you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information in this manner, please do not provide us with this information.
- For Maintenance and Administrative Services: We may share your User Information with unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Sites and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on the Foundation's behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions). We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use the personally identifiable information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer our Sites will have access to users' personally identifiable information, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personally identifiable information to us.
- To Conduct Research: We may share your User Information with other third parties for the purposes of conducting research and analyzing user data. Generally, the type of information that we will share will consist of aggregate, non-personally identifiable information, but from time to time may also include personally identifiable information.
- As Required by Law: We may disclose any User Information we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
- To Prevent Harm or Loss: We may disclose User Information when, in our sole discretion, we believe, disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm, fraud, or financial loss or in connection with suspected or actual illegal activity.
- To Process Donations or Complete a Purchase: The Foundation processes your donations and purchases through a third-party vendor and we may share certain information with the vendor in order to process your donations and purchases, and to prevent fraud.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: We may share the information we have collected about you through the Sites in the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of any other type of corporate reorganization.
The Sites are not designed or intended for children under the age of 13. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is under the age of 13. In the event we learn that such information has been provided through the Sites, we will delete or destroy it.
Accessing Your User Information
We provide you with an opportunity to access your personally identifiable information to ensure it is correct, accurate and current. To edit, modify, or delete your personally identifiable information, please contact us by email or telephone at 202-333-4005. You also may write to us at the address posted below.
We communicate with users who subscribe to our services on a regular basis via email. For example, we may use your email address to confirm your request, to send you notice of payments, to send you information about changes to our products and services, and to send notices and other disclosures as required by law. Generally, users cannot opt-out of these communications, but they will be primarily informational in nature rather than promotional.
However, we provide you the opportunity to exercise an opt-out choice if you do not want to receive other types of communication from us, such as emails or updates from us regarding new services and products offered on the Sites or if you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information with third parties. The opt-out choice may be exercised by ticking or un-ticking the appropriate box if such checkbox is available at the points where personally identifiable information is collected or by contacting us. We will process your unsubscribe as soon as possible, but please be aware that in some circumstances you may receive a few more messages until the unsubscribe is processed. You also may opt-out of receiving such emails by clicking on the 'unsubscribe' link within the text of the email.
Forums, Chat Rooms, Blogs, and Other Public Posting Areas
Please note that any information you include in a message you post to any chat room, forum, blog, or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access. If you don't want people to know your e-mail address, for example, don't include it in any message you post publicly. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS, BLOGS, AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS, BLOGS, AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS.
Please note that our Sites do not support 'Do Not Track' browser settings and do not currently participate in any 'Do Not Track' frameworks that would allow us to respond to signals or other mechanisms from you regarding the collection of your personal or non-personally identifiable information.
Third Party Advertisers
We may use advertisers, third party ad networks, and other advertising companies, to serve advertisements on the Sites. Please be advised that such advertising companies may gather information about your visit to the Sites or other sites (such as through cookies, web beacons and other technologies) to enable such advertising companies to market products or services to you, to monitor which ads have been served to your browser and which web pages you were viewing when such ads were delivered. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices please click here. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER THE COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION BY SUCH ADVERTISING COMPANIES.
In the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of any other type of corporate reorganization, you grant us the right to assign the information we have collected about you through the Sites.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Sites or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the Sites. We may post a notice on our Sites if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
International Transfer of Information
If you choose to provide us with personally identifiable information, the Foundation may transfer that information to affiliates, partners, or to other third parties, across borders, and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and by providing your personally identifiable information you consent to:
• the transfer of your personally identifiable information to the United States as indicated above.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
How to Contact Us
The Saylor Foundation
1875 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009
Questions or comments submitted through other means, such as social media posts, may not be received or addressed.